Monday, May 12, 2014

How to Fake "Awake"

Hello lovelies!

As classes and early mornings resume, I have been waking up more often than not with tired, red eyes and dark circles. Luckily, I have a few products in my arsenal that work wonders for brightening up the eyes and making you look awake. It's foolproof!



First step: Concealing those dark circles. I've found that concealers that have been developed specifically for the under-eye area work the best, because they are usually formulated in the pinker/peachier tones that counteract darkness. I'm fond of these shades because they look much more natural than my regular concealers, which tend to look too pale and stark around my eyes. My all-time favourite undereye concealer is Pixi Correction Concentrate Concealer in "Brightening Peach," (£12.00/US$12.00) which is a peachy-salmon shade that blends beautifully into the eye area. It's creamy and long lasting, and when finished off with a swipe of translucent powder, doesn't crease. Another product that I've been getting a lot of use out of is the L'Oreal Lumi Magique Highlighting Pen in "2-Medium" (£8.49) Following in the footsteps of the cult favourite YSL Touche Éclat, this highlighting pen doesn't cover up as much as brighten, instantly opening your eyes when blended. Used together, they make the perfect dark-circle combatting duo.

Second Step: Curling the Lashes. Curling your eyelashes is a simple trick that really opens up your eyes. I use the Vintage Cosmetic Company Lash Curler (£7.00), which is a cheap but effective alternative to some of the more pricey tools (do your research though...not all curlers are made equal!) Follow with a swipe of mascara for eyes that look more alert. 

Third Step: Brightening your eyelids. I find that shimmery champagne shades are the absolute best when I feel like my eyes need a pick-me-up. My favourites are Urban Decay "Easy Baked" (£14.00/C$22.00/US $18.00) and MAC Paint Pot in "Bare Study" (£13.50/C$24.00/US$17.50) As well as being super low maintenance - just a wash of one of these across the eyelid is all that's required - they also do wonders for brightening your eye area. Finish with a swipe of a jewel-toned eyeliner. I like Tarina Tarantino Eye Dream Hyperliner in "Cute Robot" (US$15.00), which is a metallic navy blue. I find navy shades especially effective, as they emphasize the whites of your eyes and counteract redness.

From Bottom to Top: UD Easy Baked, MAC Bare Study, Tarina Tarantino Cute Robot


Fourth Step: Illuminate. I like to illuminate my cheekbones in a c-formation, so that my eyes are framed by glowing, healthy looking skin. I've been using Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum for ages, and I like it because it can be mixed in with foundation or used by itself for a subtle and natural (not shimmery!) glow. I believe this product might have been discontinued in favour of the illuminating BB cream, which retails for US$34.00. 

What's your routine for faking an awake look?

xo hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment